Getting to know WordPress can be quite daunting. Especially if you don’t have a background in engineering. That’s why we — team Yoast — created a brand new free online training course to teach you how to get started with WordPress. We’ll cover all the basics from “What is a page builder?” to “How do I install a plugin?” In each lesson, there are a lot of videos, a ton of reading material and at the end, we’ll ask you some challenging questions. After taking our WordPress for beginners course, you will be able to set up and maintain a WordPress site.
It’s free because it’s WordPress!
Yoast has been offering online training courses for over four years now. Our team of experts put together an amazing curriculum of SEO courses. When we started working on the WordPress course, we were planning to make it into a paid subscription, but in the end, that did not feel right.
Not only do we love the openness of WordPress, but a high-quality course like this also helps people from all over the world to get the most out of their WordPress sites. It felt like something we should give back to the community that gave us so much, so we made it completely free.
Who’s the WordPress training for?
This course is for everyone who wants to understand every aspect of WordPress. You’ll love this course if you want to create your own website, but don’t know where to start.
The course will be helpful to anyone who wants to learn how to maintain, improve and build on existing websites. In addition, we’ll discuss the history, the open-source ecosystem and the community of the WordPress world.
What’s in the course?
The course consists of eight modules. We’ll start with background information about WordPress, we’ll give practical tips on how to use the block editor, and show you how to structure your website.
Every module consists of multiple lessons. The module about the block editor, for instance, has a lesson about adding images, videos, and embeds. The lessons are taught using videos and screencasts, so you can follow along with the instructor. Then at the very end, you’ll be given a quiz to text your knowledge.
Here’s an example lesson:
You’ll see well-known Yoasters like Joost de Valk, myself, Taco Verdonschot, and Remkus de Vries, and more. Our training course will allow you to meet a whole bunch of awesome Yoasters.
What will you learn?
- What WordPress is and what it can do for you
- How to get your own WordPress site up and running
- How to customize your site with plugins, themes, and widgets
- The ins and outs of all the settings in WordPress, so you can build a website that helps you achieve your goals
- How to liven up your site with amazing content, like posts, pages, images, videos, and embeds
- How to make sure people can find what they need on your site, by organizing your content with categories and tags
- How to manage your WordPress site once it’s up and running, with user roles, updates, and backups
- How to make sure your site is secure and protected against hackers
- Everything about WordPress SEO, so people can actually find your site in the search engines
- All about the story behind WordPress, like its history and its open-source community!
The course has been up and running for a few weeks now and the first reactions have been really positive! We’ve already helped quite a few people get their WordPress-site online. At the time of writing over 3,
“I did not know how much I needed this course! In particular, I think that the combination of video, text, and quizzes get the message across to us students. The Yoast-tribe is dedicated and passionate about helping us get the best out of our WordPress powered sites. For the first time (I’ve been using WP for years) I now understand canonical URL, permalinks, and the importance of backup.”
Søren Leth-Nissen – nduna.dk
Check out all the ins and outs about our WordPress for beginners course at Yoast.com. All the courses in the Yoast SEO Academy are online and on-demand, so you can follow along whenever you want, wherever you want.
The post Yoast Creates Free Online Course for WordPress Beginners appeared first on Torque.